Skip to main content

Snail Mail and Simplicity

                                                                                      

  So over the past few months I have found a real love for writing letters, and sending them through the mail.  I will admit, the desire to start doing this did spawn from something unexpected and also my adoration of receiving hand written letters myself.  An elementary school friend, whose name I will not mention got into some sticky circumstances and has found himself in a little bit of a tough spot, so I decided I wanted to write him.  Mind you, we didn't remain close friends throughout the years, only mere acquaintances.  I sent a quick little card out to him as soon as I heard of the situation, not really expecting anything in return, but a month later, to my surprise there was an envelope addressed to me from him.  I was excited!  What can I say, there is something special about getting a piece of personal mail.  
That same day I wrote him back...this time it was at least 2-3 pages long.  I guess catching up on all the years that we lost out on when we were younger, and since high school.  I realized how much I really enjoy sitting down with a pen and blank piece of paper and writing.  Just feels very organic.  So for the last 3 months I have been sending out letters and cards to friends and family at least 1-2 times a week.  So far he is the only person who has written me back, and that is fine and dandy with me :D
 I find it so much more exciting than a phone call, e-mail, text message, or facebook wall post.  I remember  when I would get super stoked about getting e-mails...seeing that little number next to the "inbox" link letting me know that there just might be some special messages waiting for me to open up always made me grin.  Now I feel like there is nothing more endearing than knowing that someone actually sat down and spent more than just a few minutes of their time to write me a message and let me know they are thinking of me.  I think that is one reason why I enjoy writing to people too, because I want them to know they are worth more to me than a few quick pecks on a keyboard or phone.  
Everything has become digital and "fast" these days that it almost seems difficult to send someone some snail mail.  You have to have paper, an envelope, something to write with (who carries pens anymore??haha), and a stamp.  These are items that I feel like people used to depend on so much more to communicate, now the world has become so much smaller with all the technology we have.  I  would love to just step back into the 40's or 50's and live for a year, life seemed to be more simple.  
I think everyone should take a few minutes out of their day and think of someone special that you can send a short sweet note, to brighten up their day.  Even if you don't have a ton to say, we all know the excitement of getting a letter in the mail :o).

Snail Mail and Simplicity
xoxo

someday i will have a coolio mailbox like this maybe :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

wish list

I have never made one of these before,  but thought I would, since I kinda have  an excuse with Christmas coming up.   been eyeballin these for a while :o)   Nikon 1 J1 Two Lens Zoom Kit in Pink                    Daytrip Checkered Vest neutral booties                     wrap around black belt cape/trench <3 ipad2...who doesn't want one? :P rock revival jeans Washi Swivel Shears 2S101 DR Three-Fingers

I need to catch up...

So...Independence Day weekend, a very special person in my life came to spend the weekend with me.  We had a party on Sunday the 3rd at  The Aqua , which was a lot of fun.  Monday we drove down to Indiana and I stayed there all week with some friends from my "home town."  Thank you Ashlen and Austin ♥.  I went down in preparation for my sweet friend's wedding on Saturday, July 9th.  I was a bridesmaid in the wedding...and wanted to be there to help set things up with her and her family. So...I plan to write more about my experiences the last few days..but right now I am stressed for time.  So I will post some photos until then.

this time last year..

This time last year my husband, our pup, and I were living in a tiny little truck bed camper in the middle of NO MAN'S land California.  Our energy was powered by a generator that we had to fill with gas every single day, and our heat was powered by propane tanks that were so old we could hardly find a place to get them filled.  Thanksgiving was a cold, gloomy, rainy day and we were stuck inside all day.  We tried to cook food on our tiny stove, but it was by no means a traditional Thanksgiving.  We watched movies almost all day and played with our pup, who was still new to us.  I was so heart broken, I could hardly see straight.  He held me together when I felt like falling to pieces.  I had a lot to be thankful for, I had my health, my husband, I had food, family...you know, all the things we are always used to having.  I was still so sad.  I wanted to spend the holiday cooking, eating, spending time with the people I love, being comfortabl...